28 February 2015

How to Climb Half Dome







Some would spend lots of time with permits.  The Sheeple's Method








I climbed Half Dome last week without the 'training wheels'.  Years ago a climbing friend of Everest calibre said I'd be foolish to do it without the cables.  I held my 'judgement'.  I'd never seen the face in person.  When I reached the saddle last week I thought she correct.  I was a little pissed after rising at 2 and hiking for several hours to reach that point.  From that angle it looked sketchy.  I was alone and I seldom do exposure alone.  I hadn't seen a soul since rising so I was ALONE.




Two days prior a hiker on the approach informed me he'd done it in both Winter and Summer and I should do it now.  The difference?  In winter the stanchions and wood separating each are removed.  Only the cables and mounting hardware are left in place.  He also noted that as long as I had rubber gloves and good treaded shoes I'd be fine.  I've wanted to climb HD for years so this was GREAT to hear.  Especially since permits, he added, were not required off season!  This mean a LOT less hassle to deal with.  I took the next day off from any strenuous hikes and began preps.  In retro I should have cowboy camped at Little Yosemite Valley because I enjoy the journey more when not doing
hours slogging up and down in the same day.  To me it detracts from the whole experience.


















I did fine.  The views were spectacular.  I had the entire mountain to self.  I didn't see anyone until departing from the Little Dome.  I had lots of time to muse on the dome thing.  Ironic that people slide to their deaths in Summer.  Why doesn't the Park Service require harnesses/protection?  Culpability?  If that were the case why provide the cables/stanchions?  I found it much easier (sans crowds) just hand over hand (with a harness and pro) like Batman would.  AND, people have likely died from having others fall into them from above.  If I were in that long Summer line up the last 900' I would NOT enjoy watching a descender vapor
lock and having to wait for them to get their wits again.












Facts and Tips:
- It took me 14.5 hours at my slower than usual pace.





- Little Dome has some serious exposure.  I got off trail once as well.  Keep to the north as much as you can, I veered southward.





- The approach includes wind, waterfall spray, and significant steps and elevation so dress for success.  Work clockwise, using the Mist Trail up and the Muir down.  Muir has less steps and is much more gradual.









- I used a harness and carabiners for the cables alone (400').















- Yes, this is legal.  And easier and more enjoyable IMO.














- Peeps die with and without the Summer cable setup.
















- The cables seemingly drop off into space on the descent.  Best not to look down and that is easily accomplished but facing the rock on both ascent and descent.  I looked down twice and it did not improve things. Ha.






- I suppose the angle,
cables from end to end points is 45 degrees although it at least seems to be much steeper in portions of the 400' cable section.








- If you don't KNOW you're safe on this climb STAY AWAY.







No comments:

Post a Comment